-

12/4/11

Upcycled Radio Cabinet

Is it Happy Hour yet?

Just kidding!  I shouldn't drink when I'm DIYing!
But check this out...
This old 1930's Sears Roebuck, AM Radio Console was sitting in some guys shop, just rotting away.  His lease on the shop was ending that day and he had to clear everything out pronto ~ that's how we became the lucky new owners of this beauty.  The radio workings were pretty much trashed and pieces were dropping and hanging off of it.  That didn't matter, because we could see the hidden potential it contained.  Mr. Clean cleaned out the old, broken radio parts.  And dust and spiderwebs and bug skeletons.  Eeeek!  Then he got out his handy little hand sander and went to town.  Right there in the middle of my craft room!!!


Taking his time and going with the grain of the wood.  He really does nice work...just wish it wasn't inside the house!
  

At the very first sun break he was sent packing to the back deck, because somebody was getting a bit tired of all the sawdust on every surface in the house.  Don't worry about him out there...he needed some fresh air ( and probably a break from my constant chatter and helpful suggestions )!

He had to get out some special scrapers to get into all of the little grooves and detailed wooden pieces on the front.  I always leave those kinds of details to him.  ;)  He's better at details than I am.

He wears that mask well, doesn't he?

Some of the wood trim was lifting up, but he had a fix for that too.  A touch of wood glue and some heavy objects to hold it down where the clamps couldn't reach.

They really did some gorgeous woodworking back in the day.  Fine AMERICAN craftsmanship.  This baby was built to last.

Gonn Iggulden's  'Dangerous Book For Boys'  was utilized for this tough task.  We knew that book would come in handy when it showed up under the Christmas tree a couple years ago.


Some scrap pieces of wood were cut to fit inside to create some shelving.   
(And here's a wonderfully blurry picture just in case you wanted to feel dizzy.)

More trim was added for specialty storage (you'll see).


He added back some of the vintage charm with the old knobs and the cracking, buckling radio dial.  Oh, how I wish the radio components could have been salvaged.  Some things are just not meant to be. 
Sigh...

Here she is in her restored glory ~

Sporting some of her new friends...

Showing off her sexy curves and classy lines.  Her hardware giving off that well-aged, but still hot, vibe.  Oh yeah.


And when she turns around ~ you see what she really has to offer!!!
Cocktail Anyone???


Built in stemware hangers, wine bottle storage and plenty of room for all of the extra bar accessories and beverages.




Sadly, the front panel with the radio dials broke.  It was old, brittle and cracked already so it didn't take much.   That left Scott with a little challenge ~ trying to figure out how to fill the void that was left behind.  He finally decided on a little chalkboard for personal messages.  Makes it more fun and gives it some personality.  It could say "WELCOME" if you are having an open house, or "FREE REFILLS" for a girls night..."HELP YOURSELF" would be kinda nice at an intimate gathering of friends or family.  Maybe "WINE TASTING HERE" for a cheese and wine party.  The possibilities are endless. 
I thought this message was kinda fun myself:

Please take a moment to leave us some comment love.  My Handy Man would be especially thrilled to hear from you since this is his first solo project here on P3 ~ so leave a few words of encouragement for him if you have time.  And Thank You for stopping by to check out what we've been up to.  It really means a lot ~ to both of us.  :)

Don't forget to click on that follow button on the left sidebar and like us on Facebook so you can see all of our upcycles, makeovers, DIY projects and tutorials (if you can call them that). 

Goodnight Friends!
Sherry


This project has been featured at:


Also Sharing At:

36 comments :

  1. Wow!! I'm amazed at the talent you both have! You did so good Scott!!! Such an imagination and it turned out so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous piece. You guys did a great job bringing it back to new life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! I'm glad you didn't paint it. I have one very similar that I picked up from the side of the road that has been sitting in my garage for ages. You've now inspired me to do something about it. I'd love it if you shared this at my Saturday Splendour Party which is still open http://www.megandmums.com/2011/12/saturday-splendour-no-3_10.html
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have an old radio that needs a good rehab and this is the first site where I think ...hmmmm....maybe I can do that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if WE can do it, so can you!!! It's more about time than skill, really. I hope you can take the time to accomplish what you are hoping to...it's so worth it.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry, what a gorgeous piece of furniture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Old radios and victrolas are some of my favorite pieces to repurpose. The cabinets are so beautiful it's a shame to let them end up in a landfill. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is SO cool! we need a liquor cabinet and i love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, creative idea; lots of hard work but the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have one of these somewhere on the parents farm...we rescued it from the 'junk dump' on the property. Mom had waxed it years ago, but never did an upcycle. I'm going to see if i can find it over xmas and mail it back to mysef for refurbing! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job. It is nice to see that you made it practical. I like the chalkboard touch

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is awesome! what a great find, and a great repurpose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow such a great find and what an amazing revival for this old beauty. I wish I had one too. I like the fabric insert but what would you think of putting mirror behind that fret work? It could be cool. Plain mirror doesn't have to be expensive. You can have plain mirror cut to size. Just an idea if you ever want to change it out yet again.
    So happy you linked your amazing project to Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sherry, you and your hubby did an absolutely fantastic job in restoring that old stereo cabinet. He really did work very hard and you must have been very, very proud of the work he put into it. Now you both can enjoy it together, especially over the Christmas holidays. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you rent him out? Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha! I was preparing to answer that with a good old "NO, of course I don't rent him out", when I thought..."I wonder how much we could get?" So the answer may be, "YES, for the right price!" Although, I'm pretty attached to him!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! I would have never had the patience to sand out all the nooks and crannies in the moldings, but it came out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, what a treasure! You did a beautiful job giving life back to this cabinet, it is stunning! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Great job! How long did it take him to finish? I am very impressed. I like his thinking (and yours too)! Nice solution to the broken dial. So....what are we drinking tonight??? hint...hint....hint.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is Awesome!!!!!! Such a great find & such a wonderful makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! What lovely woodworking and patina. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! This turned out really good!! I'm totally impressed. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the chalkboard even better than the original piece. Wish I still had the one that was in my mother's livingroom long, long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well it didn't go to the dump like a lot of those old sets did. I have a few originals.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's not only clever but well-done! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just found a midcentury mod radio cabinet at an estate sale for $2.50 and this is absolutely fabulous. I love that your husband took the time to turn this piece back into something beautiful! Excellent work you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow this came out fantastic! I have always loved these old radios what an awesome idea to turn it into a bar, that's genius!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful restoration and clever and chic new purpose!

    Love it!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete